Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Remembering Grandpa Norman Grant Ewell

My Dad called this morning to tell me my Grandpa Ewell had passed. We knew this was coming but it was still a shock. I don't know what to do with myself so I thought I'd right down a few of my thoughts. Grandpa Ewell has such a special place in my heart. He lived with us since I was in 3rd Grade. When I was in college he remarried and a few years later him and his wife moved to California. It was so hard when he moved away. We all were so used to having him near and him acting like a second father. 

Grandpa was an amazing man. He worked in the temple and was able to officiate at my endowment session. He loved the gospel and our Savior Jesus Christ.  He is in a better place now and knowing that he is with my Grandma Ewell (who passed away when I was in 3rd grade) makes me happy. 

Grandpa was a joy to be around. He was always cracking jokes and trying to make you smile. He gave the best hugs and always made me feel special. The past few weeks we've talked on the phone a few times and even though it was hard for him to talk, I could feel his spirit so strong and knew he loved me.

Last summer we were able to have a few hours with him in California. I will always cherish these moments. I am so happy Wesley got to meet his Great-Grandpa. Wesley loved him from the start, but who couldn't. Wesley's middle name, Grant, is actually after my Grandpa and my Dad. 






This is all I can manage to write at the moment. However my Dad asked me to write my Grandpa's obituary so I will dedicate a few more post to him I'm sure. I love my Grandpa and am glad he is no longer in pain. 


5 comments:

Breestyle said...

Thank you Ashlee. We all love grandpa, he was a lucky man full of love. If there is anything I can do to help also, please tell your dad to let me know. If you need anyone to talk to...love you.

Heidi said...

We are so sorry for your loss, Ashlee. What a sweet tribute to a special grandpa. We will keep you and your family in our prayers. Love you!

Natalie N said...

What a sweet man! You guys sure had a great relationship. I remember when you & Phil came back to our place after visiting with your Grandpa and hearing you tell stories about him. What a wonderful life he lived. Praying for you! xoxo

Brittany (B) Michelle Kenner said...

So glad we can be there for each other at his funeral sis. I love you and what a beautiful post!

dana ewell said...

We are so lucky to have the relationship that we do with Grandpa. It's those 'things' that we take with us! Love you sweetie