Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Celebrating Grandma

Phil's Mom's birthday was yesterday but we celebrated with them on Sunday. We had them over for dinner and dessert. I decided to make cupcake instead of a cake when I came across a recipe for rolo cupcakes, yum. Something you may not know about Mom and Bob is that they enjoy playing Lego Star Wars on the Wii, they are so fun. So we thought that would be our theme. 

We are bad judges of time and we pushed it to the limit. Luckily everything turned out! This is me putting the ganache on top of the caramel butter-cream frosting.  


Because of the time crunch I was only able to cut out a few of these cupcake toppers of Lego Star Wars characters. They are still cute.


 Phil and I made the lego heads the night before. They are marshmallow with a M&M on top and then dipped in colored white chocolate. The only editable writers we had were water based so they were really hard to use on the chocolate. But I think they turned out cute. 

Wes helping Grandma open her gift.


Phil was on breadstick duty and they turned out great. We realized last minute that we were out of white flour.  We substituted whole wheat flour instead, yum. I do think they would have been lighter if we added a little white flour to the dough.  

The Lasagna was amazing. I tried a new recipe out of our best bites cookbook. It seriously was so good. Phil had it for lunch everyday this week. Somehow each piece is only 250 Calories. I also love that is had zucchini, carrots, and celery in it. Plus I just put some in my food processor to chop it up a bit and Wes was in heaven. 


 Birthday girl eating her dessert.


We love you so much Mom. Thanks for all you do. We hope you had a great birthday!

4 comments:

Breestyle said...

What lucky parents they are. Those cupcakes look yummy :). Hope your doing good. Love ya

Brittany (B) Michelle Kenner said...

I want this entire meal!!!

Natalie N said...

Awww! You guys are so cute to put on a party for Momsha!! Darling job on the Lego head pop things. Soooooo cute!! The whole meal sounded awesome.

Missing you guys!
xoxo

dana ewell said...

Those lego heads are so cute! They have very intense expressions! You guys are so fun and creative!